Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Hip Surgery comin' soon...

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Hip Surgery comin' soon...

Hello Sir, I have wrote U a couple times before.We talked about all my pain in my legs,back,& possible hip problems! I saw the Orthopedic surgeon today & he says I need surgery on both my hips, I have dead bone on both sides & impingement,he said if I don't have the surgery then the pain will increase till it is so severe that I'm utterly miserably & can't hardly walk(which I have quit a limp & problems waliking now)! So, I have an appt to have the left hip surgery on the 19th, what I'd like to know is...if U can tell me what 2 expect from a hip arthroscopy & saucerazation??? Any & All info, would be more than greatly appreciated!!! What in detail this surgery actually is?? What to expect upon waking? leaving the hospital?? Follow up?? Recovery time??expectations?? when will I be able to walk??  Iknow this is alot, but I had alot loaded on me today....& I sure could use some reassurance!! And just some knowledge of all this..I know nothing about!! Hope 2 hear from U soon!!         Best Wishes,Brandy
Although not a new procedure, Hip arthroscopy is becoming more and more common. Just like arthroscopy of the shoulder and knee, Hip arthroscopy is performed through small incisions using a camera to visualize the inside of your joint. Through several small incisions (about 1 centimeter each) the surgeon will insert a camera into one incision, and small instruments through the other incisions.. The nice part about hip arthroscopy is that it is much less invasive than traditional hip surgery. This provides several advantages including faster recovery, earlier rehab, outpatient surgery, less pain, smaller scars, and quicker return to full activity.  In young active individuals hip arthroscopy can provide an alternative to hip replacement. Most importantly hip arthroscopy is a low risk procedure.
Several painful injuries to the hip can now be treated arthroscopically. The most common condition are tears of  the labrum (the cartilage that surrounds the hip socket), removal of loose bodies, tendon release for relief of “snapping hip syndrome”, and “clean up” of mild to moderate arthritis of the hip.  In all of these cases hip arthroscopy has become an important tool for more rapid return of athletes to the playing field, or to extend the athletic careers of elite athletes and weekend warriors in the sports they enjoy.

The benefit of hip arthroscopy is that the recovery is much simpler than for open hip surgery. Patients can usually put as much weight as tolerated on the hip immediately following surgery, although crutches or a cane may be necessary for the first several days. .In the first weeks after surgery, patients work on regaining motion around the joint, and gentle strengthening exercises. Typically, patients work with a physical therapist for assistance with these exercises and stretches. Most patients can begin light activities (cycling, swimming) within a few weeks. Athletes most often take about 12 weeks for full recovery. Again, there are specific procedures that may require a more lengthy rehabilitation, so check with your doctor about the specific plans for your recovery.
Good Luck with your surgery Brandy - you will be fine.   Sounds like you have a positive attitude.  I'm in pain with my right hip as well and will be having the surgery soon as well.   I'm 57 though so older.   Kudos to you for going ahead with it as I'm a big chicken.

Irishtwo
Thank U!! I am a li'l scared 2 tell the truth, but pray'n hard 4 the best!! Best of wishes 2 U on ur surgery, I'm sure u'll do fine also!     hugs,Brandy