Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Hip pain months after stress fractures

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Hip pain months after stress fractures

I am in the military and went thru basic training. I got some stress fractures one on my left femoral neck and my ipr. I got on crutches for a week but continued on, in bad pain. Once i got to my ait I got a on crutches for a month and did physical therapy. I was forced to run a long a distance and sprint while on my walk to run program and my right hip flexor began to hurt. Now that I'm home I still have a lot of pain in my groin/hips. I was working out but I would either hurt during the workout and had to stop or would be limping and in tears with pain later on in the day. I stopped working out and let me body rest. I still have pain everyday even thou it's been almost a year since I got the stress fractures.

I recently went on vacation to Disney world and was walking a lot. By the fourth day I needed to rent a wheelchair. It seems like no matter what I do I have pain in my hips. Standing, walking, I dare not try running but I do try the eliptical which is suppose to be no/low impact and it still hurts. I know that I shouldn't be in this much pain for a 23 year old. I went to my civilian doctor and was directed to go to a orthopedic surgeon with new x-rays to rule out any surgery needed. What could possibly wrong that is making me have so much pain still?

Thank you
Stress fractures of the femoral neck occur either on the compression (bottom) side, or the tension (top) side.  Tension side fractures usually require surgery to immobilize them, promote healing, and prevent displacement.  Compression side injuries can be treated with crutch walking, restricted activity, and eventual PT to rehabilitate the surrounding musculature.  If the fracture does not heal, surgery may also be necessary.
At this point, it sounds as if your fracture has not healed, at the very least.  Certainly, I am worried there may have been displacement of the fracture.
I agree, a new set of xrays, and possibly a repeat MRI would be a good move at this point.