Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
How long does it take for a stable comperssion fracture of L2 to heal?

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Dear Dr. I had a road accident on 28.07.2009. and entered a hospital for treatment in a Traumatology and Oropedic Ward. After an x-ray and check-up all over my body, doctors determined a fracture of L2. On the 3rd day of my treatment in the Orthopedic Ward doctors sent me for a native computer test of upper lumbar vertebrae and their disc positions. This is the result : The scanner graphic shows smoothened hollow back in the upper lumbar segment. The body of L2 is presented slightly lowered forwards to its front part. On its upper front part surface and more on the left a mono-fragment disconnection of the contour and wedged bones trabeculae are visible. The dorsal part of the body and the prediculuses of L2 are intact.
L1 and L3 and the canned discs do not show any traumatic changes. At all scanned levels the sizes and the shape of the vertebral canal are preserved.

Conclusion: Computer test data for stable compression fracture of the body of L2.

I was discharged on the 6th day of the fracture with course of illness -bed regime and consequent immobilization with improvement of my condition. My general condition was good, afibril and since then I am wearing a fabric corset for walking and sitting activity. I stayed in bed for 35 days without walking at all just seating for a few min per day as long as to keep my vestibular in some activity. The sharp pain I was feeling immediately after the accident subsided gradually for 3-4 days and I stopped taking  any analgesics.  In addition, from the 3rd day of my treatment I am doing some exercises in a laying down position of the body to stretch my muscles. I had a secondary check-up with the treating doctor on the 3rd of September. The x-ray  didn’t show any additional deformation of the vertebrae. I don’t have any complications or infirm symptoms. I am currently leaving in eastern Europe where individual approach and treatment is not a common practice. thanks in advance
While the bone will heal in 8 - 12 weeks after the injury, there are other factors.  There are injuries to the surrounding soft tissues, and your body has substantially deconditioned due to your prolonged inactivity. Physiotherapy will be essential for your complete recovery.  If physical therapy is not available, I suggest starting with a swimming program.