Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
How long should swelling and bruising last in a ankle sprain?

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

This past Friday I jumped off of my husbands semi and twisted my ankle left, left right and then left again. I do not think I heard any pops. I have sprained my ankle MANY times since I was a kid. And this one is different because I also hurt the inside of my ankle, and the back. And it has never stayed swollen or bruised like this before, or hurt this much this long. I can walk on my foot as long as I walk with it out to the side of me, so it isn't straining any part of the inner side or back of it. It is still swollen, and there is bruising about an inch long on the inner part of my ankle, and a bruise on the outside of my foot from my pinky toe all the way down to the end of my foot. I have been icing it 3-4 times daily, keeping it wrapped and taking Ibuprofen.
So my ? once again is how long should the swelling and bruising last, and should I go see a dr. ? Or is there more I could do here at home? And if so how long should I wait for the swelling and bruising to go down before I should see a dr.?
Thank you!
I would definitely recommend evaluation by a physician. An Xray should be done to rule out a fracture of either the ankle, or the fifth metatarsal, or both.  Other possibilities include a rupture of the achilles tendon.  Even if it is neither of these, there is no such thing as "just a sprain".  A sprain is torn ligaments, and unless treated correctly, a sprained ankle can easily lead to chronic problems.
A related discussion, Sprain and shin splints? was started.