Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
I pray for help. I have had a failed TKR revision.

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

I have had a 4th surgery on my left leg. TKR 5/09, Total revision 4/10, revision of knee cap w/ bone graph 1/11, and scope for scar tissue 2/12. I have multiple problems with my leg, pain most of which is walking and when I engage my quad. It hits a 20 on the pain scale. You can hear the massive grinding and crunching when the pain occurs. I have had many opinions, none of which is really answering problems. I have one issue that I feel has been a big part of the problem. As soon as I put my foot down for my first step after my initial tkr I could feel a HUGE difference in the length. My surgery leg was longer!!!!! It has thrown everything off, yet nobody seems to want to address this issue. I have gained a 1/2 inch!!! Simply putting a lift in my other shoe has NOT solved the pain. I am in misery and mentally exhausted. The nightmare began when I had an infection with my first TKR while I was in the hospital. I tried to tell them I was NOt ready to be discharged and they said I was fine. I was back in the ER within 12 hrs. All they did was give me oral antibiotics. My new doc did not do a 2-step revision. Said he found no infection at the time of revision. I am leaving out much of my surgery history, but my primary problem is I am still in so much pain. My life is ruined. Please help! I have seen so many surgeons and nobody agrees on anything. What can I do?
Unfortunately, it seems like pain management may be your best answer at this point. Contact your local hospital for a pain management specialist.
I have seen a pain doctor. He said he couldn't do anything until I had the scope to clean out some of the scar tissue. He said he had never heard one as loud and grinding and crunching as mine. I had the scope. That was one month ago and it is coming right back. The pain doctor said he will give me a nerve block if my surgeon gives the approval because it's been so close to surgery. But that is only a temporary fix! I can't believe there isn't SOMEONE who can help! SOMEONE out there that is a revision specialist that can see the issues. Please help me. Please!