Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Impact knee injury. What did I damage?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Impact knee injury. What did I damage?

I'm 38, female.  Exactly 2 weeks ago, after jogging, two off-leash dogs playing tag slammed into the front of my R knee, and knocked me over.  Swelling and pain started soon after, and got worse over the next few days.  Particularly on the center, sides and just above my knee.  

At first I alternated between hobbling around and using crutches, as well as R.I.C.E. but I have become more strict about staying off the bad leg.  It's been 2 weeks, and it's just as bad as ever.  I still can't really walk.  

I saw a nurse practitioner (my doctor was out), who manipulated and examined my leg, and sent me home with really basic home care instructions, and no new information.  

This knee had given me some trouble 3 months earlier, possibly a strained ACL from running too hard.  This new injury is much worse.  The knee feels unstable when I try to walk, and it feels like it can't support my weight (I'm slim-average).  I have full range of motion, but with mild discomfort.  Nothing looks abnormal, just swollen.

Since I'm unemployed and lack insurance, resting is all I can realistically do.  Once I get a job and insurance, then I can consider surgery, if that's what I need.  But, with only rest and home remedies, how soon can I expect to walk again without crutches?