Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Incomplete fracture/Bone Bruise

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Incomplete fracture/Bone Bruise

4 weeks ago i fell during a skating practice. Arm fully extended above my head.  Urgent Care xrays didnt show anything (not the best view/quality) but was recommended i visit an Ortho doc to check rotator cuff and glenoid labrum.  Ortho said seems like a  labrum tear, gave me some vicodin and said come back in 4 weeks for an MRI..  MRI results now show "bone bruise or incomplete fracture of the greater tuberosity of the proximal right humerus- and i dont go back to see the doc for 4 more days.  What is the typical course of treatment?  Is it bad that it went 4 weeks not in a sling or anything else for stability.  I still have intense pain and wonder what is the difference between a bone bruise and an incomplete fracutre.  The skin on the outside never bruised.
A bone bruise and an incomplete fracture are practicly the same thing. Both would have likely been undetected on plain xrays, but are now frequently diagnosed with the increased use of MRIs. If the fracture is truly nondisplaced, then the treatment is rest until the bone heals. this is usually 8-12 weeks. If the fracture hasnt changed position when he rexrays you at your next visit, then there is no problem