Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Inflammation in the medial meniscus
About This Forum:

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Inflammation in the medial meniscus

Hi, I have just been in to get an MRI, & found that I have a very inflammed medial meniscus.  I have worked very hard for the last 9 months to lose weight (50 lbs) by cardio & weight training.  My weekend cardio was running.  I had worked up to 7-8 miles, with a goal of being able to do a half marathon in May of 2009.  I started having pain in my knee about 3 months ago.  A clicking & grinding inside & pain behind my knee.  Is has gradually gotten worse.  My question is this:  Can there be inflammation in the medial meniscus without a tear?  And, if I end up having surgery, will I be able to run again?

Thanks,
Anita
Related Discussions
700223_tn?1318169294
Most of the meniscus does not have a blodd supply and does not contain cells, therefore, to my knowledge, the meniscus itself does not get inflamed.  You may have degenerative changes in the meniscus, inflammation in the surrounding synovium, or a torn meniscus.  The grinding sounds like it could be chondromalcia, wear of the articular cartilage that coats the surfaces of the bones in the knee joint.  Imagine a teflon frying pan that someone accidently used a steel wool pad on. I would recommend starting some cross training.  Mix in non-impact cardio such as the eliptical, a stationary bike, or swimming.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank