Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Injured thumb!!!

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Injured thumb!!!
I injured my thumb yesterday. I was playing around with my friend and when I punched him I had my thumb sticking out from my closed fists. So I missed him and hit him with my thumb on the side of his shoulder and my thumb bent back. It hurt a whole lot for like couple of minutes but then I got over it. It's been swollen for 2 days now the bottom part of thumb and fat part of palm. I can move it allright and it doesnt hurt, I only feel it when I grip hard. What do I do because I can't go to the doctor. Is it just a sprain, hyperextension, skiiers thumb and will it heal by itself?
You have named all the possibilities. Its really impossible to make an accurate diagnosis without an examination. I suggest you try a short period of immobilization using a store bought brace. If the pain persists, then you should seek medical attention from a hand specialist.