Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Is surgery needed?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Is surgery needed?

Had an MRI yesterday.
Findings: Menisci: Oblique inferior surface extending tear posterior horn medial meniscus. Remaining meniscal tissue intact
Other: Minor joint effusion

Conclusion Tear posterior horn medial meniscus. Remaining internal structures of the knee appear grossly intact.

Knee causes lots of pain and discomfort and some nice noises. What are the chances of this needing surgery?
Related Discussions
700223_tn?1318169294
Conventional wisdom is that for an acute meniscal tear, in a young, active individual, the most reliable meathod of treatment is arthroscopic partial menisectomy.  The large majority of meniscus tears do not have the potential for healing on their own, and physical therapy does not promote healing of the meniscus.  I compare a torn meniscus to a pebble in your shoe.  Until the pebble is removed, you are still going to have pain.  Once the torn meniscus (the pebble) is removed, you can feel better. The incidence risk of arthritis after arthroscopic partial menisectomy is quite low. Combine this with the probability that leaving the torn tissue in place has a greater chance of causing arthritic changes in the knee.

4 Comments
Blank
Thank you Dr Gross. Ive already had 2 previous knee surgeries for torn miniscus, 1 on each knee, they were posterior tears I believe. Years ago.
Blank
Ive also had 3 back surgeries including an L4 to L5 fusion. Need a patient to keep you busy? LOL
Blank
Had MRI and report stated I have a degenerative tear posterior horn and body medial meniscus with associated focal marginal medial tibial osteochondral lesion subjacent to the meniscal tear.  I am a 73 year old female, healthy otherwise. Can walk on it fine, just when I get up or sit down I have the pain. Is surgery needed?
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank