Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Joint reconstruction

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Joint reconstruction

Is there anyone that can fabricate an artificial joint for my thumb?(at the base of the thumb) I had an accident with my saw and totally destroyed the joint and was told my only option is to fuse it. I am a carpenter and need the full use of my thumb! As for now, I was told Ill only be able to bend the top joint and the bottom joint after everything has healed. I appreciate any help with this matter!!!
There are interposition arthroplasties that can be done if the joint is stable.  This means taking a tendon and rolling it up, and stuffing it in the space where the arthritic joint is.  If a fusion is necessary, usually there is no loss of function, since the motion lost at the mcp joint is made up by the surrounding joints.  I would suggest a visit to an orthopedic hand specialist to explore your options more closely.
Its the metacarpophalangeal thumb joint