Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Knee Injury

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Knee Injury

I hurt my left knee yesterday doing side lunges and although I can walk on it, I'm limping a bit to keep the weight off of it. I'm pretty sure it's sore due to overuse and the fact that I weigh 235 lbs. I have it wrapped, took some Motrin, and iced it. It's the same knee I dislocated twice about 6 years ago.  I took some Excedrin Back and Body and a muscle relaxer before bed. I slept with a pillow under my knee and tried not to move around a whole lot. My knee isn't swollen, nor is the area around it. I can straighten my leg all the way (but its sore) When I bend my knee back it really hurts. The pain seems to be coming from behind my knee.  What do you think is causing the pain?
Tags: Knee, Pain
I am not a big fan of lunges.  My feeling is that that although they do have benefits, they put undue strain on your knees.  Instead, I recommend, side lunges, step up and stability squats. If you hurt your knee doing side lunges, this may be a meniscal injury or to the MCL.  Pain in the back of the knee may be local inflammation, or swelling.  Continue the NSAID's, rest, and ice; if the pain persists, see an orthopedist.
How long should I wait before I can ease back into my workout routine?  Should I wait until the pain is completely gone? I normally do either 60 mins on the elliptical or 60 mins of cardio DVDs (like 30 Day Shred, mountain climbers, burpees, etc.).
I twisted my knee in 2004 and all the doctors said was that it was ok and just needed some rest. Had it in a plaster for 3-6 weeks and then slowly started walking again. From then till now, I did continue with sports as I am athletic and also its the only way one can get away from the stress of daily life here, however I have twisted my knee on several occasions. The last time being sometime in Oct 2010. I then insisted for an MRI which was finally performed on my right knee in Jan 2011 and here are the results:

Findings:
~Bone: traumatic bony contusion with greenstick fracture noted in upper 1/3 of the right tibia.
~ACL: Partial tear in the right ACL noted
~PCL: Mild buckling of the PCL noted
~Lateral Meniscus: Grade 1 tear in the anterior horn of the Lateral Meniscus and grade 2 tear in the posterior horn of the Lateral Meniscus noted
~Medial Meniscus: Grade 1 tear in the anterior horn of the Medial Meniscus and grade 2 tear in the posterior horn of the Medial Meniscus noted
~No significant joint effusion
~REST: NAD.
Sorry, pressed the wrong key!!! :p
Continued from previous comment by myself...

The above is only for the right knee but I am pretty sure that the left knee is equally as bad if not worse.
I would really appreciate it if someone could get back to me on this and tell me exactly:
1) How bad this injury is (Since its been there since 2004)?
2) How can it be cured if any??? I would prefer non-surgical methods as I have kinda lost faith in doctors in this part of the world.
3) Can I continue with sports such as cricket, cycling and swimming if I wear knee braces/supports? If yes then which kind of knee braces/support? (because I usually tend to injure my knee with the elastic knee supports more often than without it).
4) Would Yoga, magnet therapy or any kind of therapy help heal the knee joint?

Thanks in anticipation...
If you want the Dr. to answer your question you are better off clicking Post a question at the top of the screen and asking your question directly that way it will be seen better by the dr.  You commented on someone elses post and they may or someone else may answer you but it is easier to get your question answered by posting your own question.
Hope this helps.
Doest really sound like anything surgical is needed at this point unless the injuries have progressed, and there really is no way to determine that via the internet. However, assuming the status quo, Low impact cardio programs, resistance training that does not put undue stress on your knees, functional training for balance and coordination, and core strengthening are all important as far as exercise goes. I am a fan of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate, and have recently seen promising resultd with beta omega-3 supplements for their anti-inflammatory properties.  Good Luck!
Thanks Doc! I used to take a supplement called "SuperJoints" which was meant to help improve my condition. I was prescribed that for 3 months which i did take but then i once again ended up twisting my knee... So does this mean that its the end for my sporting career?!?! I would really hope not...
Thanks in advance...