Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
L4 compression fracture

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

L4 compression fracture

About 2 months ago my 38 year old husband picked up a 50lbs. bag. He felt a pop but thought he just strained his back. Six weeks later he finally went to the dr. He has a L4 compression fracture and the L4 is concaved. We have had an MRI and a CT scan and some blood work up but we dont have a reason for the fracture. All of the dr.s that he has seen all say the same thing."Strange". They dont understand how it broke picking up 50 lbs. Any ideas?
P.S if cancer was the cause it would have shown up on the MRI or the CT wouldnt it?
  • need help (1 replies):
    hi i am 24 year old my question is my bone been crackin...[more]
sometimes even mild change in force distribution along the spine in bent position can bring about abnormal local stresses which can be explained by bio-physicists if they re enact the whole sequence. I have seen several such cases of fractures with trivial trauma as a clinician. so dont worry .it is not pathological always .you may get serum alkaline phosphatase and acid phosphatase level to rule out further. MRI has also ruled out.
Today we got his blood work back.
LY% 50.5
NEU% 39.8
Sed. 12
CRP 11.4 (Last month it was 6)
All the other blood tests were normal. They are now sending us for a cisternogram. The paperwork says something about a mass.He wrote to paperwork after looking at the CT scan although the dr. didnt say anything to us (we are living outside of the US and they dont speak English here). We have to travel 4 hours to another city to have this test preformed. Are any of the blood test results anything to worry about? We havent been able to relax since this whole thing started.