Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Lateral Release recovery

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Lateral Release recovery

Two weeks ago I had knee arthroscopy surgery that included cleaning out cartilage behind the patella and a lateral release.

Post surgery, I have very good range of motion and am walking a great deal due to my living situation, probably close to a mile a day.  However, due to pain with walking, I am still using a cane.

When I saw the surgeon a week ago for my post op check up, he was very pleased with the progress and recommended that in walking, I walk in whatever way minimizes the pain (including using the cane)

Today, I saw my nurse practitioner (that I see for general medical issues) to have the remaining stitches removed.  She is very insistent that the surgery was minimally invasive and that I should not need any assistance in walking or pain relief at this time.

What are your thoughts about using a cane two weeks after lateral release surgery?  Is it excessive to continue using it after such a minimally invasive surgery?
I see no problem with continuing the cane if you still need it.  Particularly if your surgeon ok'd it.  While your NP is knowlegable, if your surgeon told you to continue with the cane if needed, he is in a much better position to make that call.
i had lateral release surgery on jan. 26, 2009. i have been to therapy and had to quit. i am more pain now than i was before the surgery. i can not walk arond a store without the foot and ankle and knee swelling so bad. cant do stairs, bend knee, get on the knee, or evan keep it srait for long periods of time. i want to know if this is normal? i seen my ortho surgeon who did the surgery on april 30 2009 and he now says he does not know whats wrong. i asked for a second opion and he said i could not have one. what should i do? and how do i get this fix so im not disabled all my life for im only 29 right now....... thanks charlotte yeager
A related discussion, lateral release recovery! was started.