Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
MCL/ACL Surgery or wait for MCL repair

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

MCL/ACL Surgery or wait for MCL repair

I injured my knee 3 weeks ago playing soccer -- mid-air collision at speed and twisting during landing.  RICE and I wore an immobilizer for the next week while walking outside of the house, but left it off while at home so that the leg wouldn't stiffen up. Went into the orthopedist at 2 weeks as I still had pain, they were concerned because about my acl and mcl (which they said was allowing my knee to "open like a book").  MRI shoed a complete tear of the ACL but the images of the MCL were less conclusive (definite tearing, but the surgeon couldn't say if both ends were still attached or not).  I still do not have full ROM, but the surgeon recommended doing the surgery right away to reconstruct ACL (double bundle allograft) and repair the MCL if possible, reconstruct if necessary (also allograft).  My question is:

(1) Is it advisable to have the surgery right now or should I wait?  I have read that MCL tears rarely require surgical treatment and I am tempted to wait and give the MCL a chance to heal itself; however, if it won't heal, I don't particularly want to miss the window to repair my own tissue either...

Thank you
Tags: acl, MCL
Most MCL tears do not require surgical intervention once th ACL is reconstructed.  However, in some patients, repair of the MCL is required, and is best done at the time of initial surgery.  I would certainly discusss this with your surgeon and determine why he feels the MCL should be treated surgically.
1 Comment
A related discussion, ACL reconstructuion was started.