Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Marathon Training and Sore Achilles Heel (No pain while running)

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

I want to make sure to prevent something bad (like some of the things I've read).  I am training for the NY Marathon now and it's about 2 months away.  I have had runner's knee before and so as a preventative have gone to the doctor who cured me (using ART, active release therapy) every other week.  My knees are pretty much symptom free as a result.

He is a tri-athlete chiro focused on runners/athletes and just does some preventative deep massages and ART.  My knee sometimes has a little feel but is pretty much in very good shape because of this.  My mileage is between 30 and 35 miles a week and I have built up over 2 months.  I run 4 days a week for training.  I ran 5.5 miles yesterday and getting out of bed today, I didn't notice any feeling.  If I twist my ankle around then I notice some tenderness - otherwise I can walk fine. I do also find it is more comfortable to wear shoes that are not totally flat.

I have some soreness however in my achilles and maybe I noticed about a month ago. It is sore when I get out of bed and otherwise not really a problem.  I am going to speak to him about it when I see him tomorrow (I didn't think it was a problem till more recently and reading these forums).  I run with no pain and there are no lumps on the tendon now. I already have orthotics which may also help me.  I do wear the orthotics with a stability shoe (for mild overpronation), is this over doing it? I'm also wondering if this combo could be a factor?

It seems this is a somewhat early stage that I'm catching it.  Does it seem like this is something I might be able to treat and still run?  What has been your experience?
Insertional achilles tendonitis, pain where the achilles attaches, is common in runners and can be quite debilitating if it is not dealt with early.  In fact, several years ago I have had surgery myself for this problem, and just yesterday I operated on one. Early intervention is key to avoiding problems down the road.
Thanks for the response.  I hope to reverse it because it is at an early stage.  Is there a particular course of treatment you favor when it is at the early stage (I think that is my case)?  Thanks ahead of time. I have a stand appt with my dr today as I've seen him every 2 wks or so since I've started training as a preventative measure.