Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Pain in Index finger

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Pain in Index finger

8 weeks ago I started having mild pain in the lower part of my index finger after trying to twist off a bottle cap.  The pain has never been very sharp, but rather is a mild pain that only occurs when I do anything with that finger that requires a twisting or bending (sideways) motion (like twisting off a cap).  This was not a severe injury, there was no swelling or throbbing or redness.  I didn't even realize I had hurt it until the next day.  

But now, 8 weeks later, the pain as sort of plateud and persisted.  I really can't afford to see a doctor unless it's absolutely necessary.  My question is,  could this be some sort of minor ligament tear, and if so, would the doctor have me do anything other than rest?  Should I just wait until the 12 week point before seeing a doc?  Thanks.
Since it has been 8 weeks already, there is probably no harm in waiting 4 more. While is good, splinting may be necessary to avoid further damage and allow for healing. I caytion against splinting yourself, as splinting in a improper postion may cause increased stiffness and loss of function.