Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Pain on Right Side of Knee

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Pain on Right Side of Knee
Hi Doctor,

I've got a question about pain on the right side of my knee.  I'm a runner - nothing heavy, about 20 miles per week.  Lately I've been having pain on the right side of my right knee - but only when its bent and I'm applying pressure outward.  For example - when I'm sitting cross-legged and I put my elbow on my knee and press it to the ground, I have pain.  It's not there otherwise.  It's been about 3 weeks now - any idea what might cause it?
Three possibilities:
1. ITB (Iliotibial band Syndrome), which is caused by friction of th ITB over the lateral femoral condyle.  Usually responds to stretchng, ice, NSAID's, and occasionally orthotic inserts

2. Patella Femoral Syndome, also known as "runner's knee" this has a variety of causes but is usually improved with Physical therapy, NSAIDs, correction of shoe wear.  Occasionally surgery is needed

3.  Torn lateral meniscus.  Usually requires surgery.

If the pain is persistant or worsens, I would recommend orthopedic evaluation.
A related discussion, knee pain was started.
A related discussion, Pain in the right knee was started.