Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Patellar realignment surgery

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Patellar realignment surgery

I have jhad surgery on my right knee (tibial tuberosity osteotomy and lateral release) to relign my knee after frequent disslocations 2 weeks ago.  

I am on crutches and my leg is in a brace so I can't bend it.  I went back to the hospital a few days ago to see the consultant.  He advised I have to keep the brace on for another 4 weeks and gave me a couple of exercises to do until I see him again when I remove my brace.  These were to try and bend my knee 45 degrees and to clench my knee cap.  I have tried these and my knee is still very swollen and stiff and I'm finding it hard going.  My leg is still very bruised from the op and numb in places. The consultant has also not told me how often to do these, and I'm worried that I will be either pushing myself too hard, or not pushing myself enough.

I was looking for some advice as I haven't been given any advice on whether I should be icing my knee to reduce the swelling, or whether I should take over the counter anti-inflammatory drugs?  Since I won't realistically see a physio for at least another 4 weeks (5.5 weeks from op) should I seek out a private physio?  Also how long should I be staying off my work for??  
Tags: patellar
Ice is always good to reduce swelling and inflammation.  I usually recommend 20 minutes at least 6 times a day, with more repititions if possible.  As far as NSAID's, the answer is not simple. some surgeons do not like to use them after an osteotomy, because they theoretically can inhibit bone healing.  Therefore, it may be best to limit there use.  
As far as your own PT, I dont think this is a great idea without speaking to your treating surgeon.