Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Physical Therapy Post Surgery

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Physical Therapy Post Surgery
I had a decompression of my left shoulder on March 6th which they removed a large bone spur, small part of my shoulder bone, cleaned up adhesions and inflammation on the capsule and said it looked like adhesive capsulitis, as well as cleaned up frayed parts of rotator cuff.  I am doing home exercises, but they do not plan on putting me in PT, I am not sure if I should be concerned not having PT ordered after this surgery? I am still in a sling for comfort and still a lot of pain more so 1st 3 to 4 hours in the morning and late evening up to bedtime. Any advice would be appreciated, I do not want to loose any ground with what has been done.
Post operative protocols vary from surgeon to surgeon.  Each surgeon develops protocols that work best for them,  Delayed PT after shoulder surgery is not unusual. If you have questions about the specifics of your post op course, you have to ask your treating doctor.