Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Possible neuroma in palm of hand after carpal tunnel surgery
About This Forum:

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Possible neuroma in palm of hand after carpal tunnel surgery

I had carpal tunnel surgery on my left hand December 19, 2008.  I had pain in my palm in post op.  My forefinger now has paresthesia that is slowly getting better but not 100%.  I also have a lump on the thumb side of the surgery scar that feels like a hard flat and rounded rock.  The Orthopedic surgeon says that the "lump" could be a neuroma.  I have read about ganglion cysts and lipomas, etc.  When I massage or push on the lump, my forefinger feels more numb.  My forefinger gets more numb and tight feeling when I tap anything or if I place a glass too firmly into that hand.

I had the stitches out two weeks after surgery.  Soon after, someone flung open a door with horizontal metal handle hit me across the surgery scar.  That could have instigated the lump combined with the surgery.

So far the doctor says to keep watch over it for a while and see how things progress and to continue massaging that area.  Her physician assistant told me to come in for an MRI in a month or so (about now) to discover what the lump is.

Do you think I need to go back to the doctor for an MRI or live with it?  The forefinger is gradually feeling better, but not normal. If I understood the surgeon correctly, she doesn't think the lump is causing the forefinger numbness.