Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Pulled upper back muslce, now numbness in elbow and right hand
About This Forum:

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Pulled upper back muslce, now numbness in elbow and right hand

Hello there.

I am a pretty active guy, but was working in the garden the other day and was using a hoe to break up the ground, and the next day I realized I had pulled a muscle in my side right to upper middle back. I assume it's my trap as I have pulled it before, but this time is different. Also, the pull seems to be climbing up the back right side of my neck. I have had the same exact pull before in the middle right side of my back and in the neck and I know this is the trap muscle, but it's much worse this time its worse than before. I have tingling in my elbow, forearm, palm of hand and thumb and index finger.  I know it's a nerve, and assume it's the swollen muscle tissue pinching or putting pressure on it. It's been 3 days so far, and the tingling is kind of freaking me out. I've never had this happen. I've been taking ibuprofen for the pain and applying heating pads and I feel relief, but the tingling is what I am worried about. Thanks for the help.

Cheers