Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Pulled upper back muslce, now numbness in elbow and right hand

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Hello there.

I am a pretty active guy, but was working in the garden the other day and was using a hoe to break up the ground, and the next day I realized I had pulled a muscle in my side right to upper middle back. I assume it's my trap as I have pulled it before, but this time is different. Also, the pull seems to be climbing up the back right side of my neck. I have had the same exact pull before in the middle right side of my back and in the neck and I know this is the trap muscle, but it's much worse this time its worse than before. I have tingling in my elbow, forearm, palm of hand and thumb and index finger.  I know it's a nerve, and assume it's the swollen muscle tissue pinching or putting pressure on it. It's been 3 days so far, and the tingling is kind of freaking me out. I've never had this happen. I've been taking ibuprofen for the pain and applying heating pads and I feel relief, but the tingling is what I am worried about. Thanks for the help.

Cheers
It sounds like an inflammed cervical nerve. Usually, rest, ice, and NSAID's are the first line. If the pain persists, or there is progressive numbness or weakness, its time to see a physician.
Update. Back is feeling better, and the numbness has all but gone away. My hand was becoming numb as I was spending large amounts of time in bed laying on my back, and I assume the pressure was pushing on the nerve or perhaps it was the angle of my arm. Regardless, I'm still worried about that symptom. PLease let me know what I can do about rehab or my next steps, this injury keeps recurring. Thank you.