Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
QUAD PAIN

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

QUAD PAIN

I pulled the inside of my left quad running bases in softball back in early May. Im still in pain and wondering if I should go to the doctor. I have an important volleyball competition coming up in a few weeks that I would like to be 100% for. I have not been doing any weight lifting for lower body but have tried the stationary bike, stretching, heating, and even massage. What hurts it most is sprinting and quick stop and go movements. I have tried taking a week off from activity but it has not helped and I am an extrememly active person and would like to continue with my normal lifestyle. I did make an appointment with an orthopedic but I dont want to go just to have them tell me I need to take time off and try what I've already tried. PLEASE HELP!
Tags: quads, Pain
Unfortunately, it sounds like you have retorn your quadriceps muscle.  Muscle tears heal with fibrous scar tissue which is not as elastic as true muscle tissue, and therefore is more subject to retear when subjected to stretch such as a miskick.
For these injuries, a formal physical therapy program which includes stretching, strengthening, modalities, and progression to sports specific functional training, can hasten return to activity, and decrease the chance of reinjury.
Recent work has indicated that injections with platelet rich plasma (PRP) can be very helpful in as part of an overall program for soft tissue healing.  PRP is obtained by drawing a small amount of the patients blood, centrifuging it a high speed for up to 15 minutes and harvesting a smaller highly concentrated sample of platelets.  The platelets are reinjected into the patients injured area.  The PRP serves as a soft tissue scaffold for soft tissue healing.  In addition, the PRP delivers concentrated growth factors that can stimulate soft tissue healing.