Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Running through the pain

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Running through the pain

I've had knee pain and swelling in both knees for 4 years which stopped me from running which I loved to do before knee pain. I was told by an orthopedic dr. that it was common in teen girls and I would out grow it by high school. Well I'm a junior now and the pain and swelling are worse but I have learned to deal with it because I'm immune to pain killers and icing doesn't help. I really want to start running again. I ran just a little ways the other day and got shin splints because I run flat footed. My karate instructor said I could probably start running if I took little steps and tried to land heel-toe. I know I can power through the pain, I do that everyday, but could it cause me more problems for me?