Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Severe Foot Pain (Especially above heel)

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Hello, I'm 20 years old. I have been having very severe pain in my feet, knees, and above my heels. I have been diagnosed with Flat Feet and Plantar Fasitis with over pronation a while back (about a year or two ago), and have tried several different things such as physical therapy, super feet orothotics, but my pain has been getting 100% worse since then. My insurance is messed up right now, so I can't go see a doctor, without the risk of having to pay the entire bill out of my pocket, which I wouldn't be able to afford. I don't know what to do.

I have a sharp burning pain right above my heel, plus sharp pain in my ankles. It seems to be going up my leg into my knees, hips, and lower back. I have had my back checked numerous times before, and they told me it's not coming from my back. I have been trying to walk/jog regularly, but the pain seems to increase in doing so. Even trying to drive sends the pain up my legs.No matter what I do, the pain is always there.  

Please if any one might know what is going on please let me know. Thanks! :)
I can offer you a home remedy that I have been very successful with. Dansko clogs. Dansko is a swedish company that makes rubber soled clogs that "spring loaded support" running longitudinally through the sole. Anyone who has spent any time in an operating room, or has worked in a kitchen is familiar with them. Wear them full time around the house, particularly when you first get out of bed in the morning. Wear them out and about as much as you can. Combine this with stretching both of the sole and the achilles tendon, and icing
I assume "Dansko" is a brand name.  Are there other brands?

I was looking for information on not wearing socks.  I am retired and have tended to wear slippers (no foot support, and minimal protection) and have come to my worst ever case of heel pain.  I thus started doing some of the heel stretches (just the right foot) and wearing shoes.  However, the shoes I have been wearing are slip on leather.  They have reasonable arch and cushion support.  To make them easier to slip on/off I have stopped wearing socks when at home.  Is there a down side to not wearing socks?

I'd guess the Dansko clogs are worn without socks.