Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Severe quad tendonosis

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Severe quad tendonosis

Hello, I have had severe quad tendonosis for several months now.  I am a pro athlete and I have exhausted all avenues such as Platelet rich plasma, physical therapy eccentric training, and I have been all over the country to few of the best PT's known to professional sports.   I am now having to miss this season bc of my worsening condition and I am so very frustrated at the lack of a concrete treatment for me.  I am now considering surgery in order to get ready for next season.  My doctors are very well known throughout the country, but I wanted another opinion on the surgery.  What should this surgery entail? How long will it take to recover? Is it as successful a surgery as say ACL Reconstruction? Is it worth it to go ahead and get this fixed rather than continue to deal with the unknown future of all the other treatments? Any advice/suggestions/opinions are very much welcome and appreciated.  I feel that I may never be able to play again because of such a stupid injury.  HELP!
It sounds like you've exhausted all possible nonsurgical options. However you should realize that no surgery comes with a guarantee.  All surgery carries risk, and you may, in fact, wind up worse than you started.  That said, good luck!