Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Shin pain

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Shin pain

I suffer with severe pain from knee down to my foot, on the inside of my shin. It is very knotty as you run your finger up both my shins. The pain is 24/7, and i can only stand for short periods. If I crouch down then the pain is worse and causes pins and needles. Do you have any idea of what this may be?
Could be shin splints, which is an irritation of the covering (periosteum) of the shin bone (tibia). This is a frequent overuse injury seen in runners who increase their mileage too quickly.  It is often accompanied by excessive pronation, turning in of the feet during running or flat feet.  Many believe, that shin splints can be a precursor to stress fracure of the tibia.  Your symptoms sound fairly extreme.  If rest, ice, and over the counter medications are unsucessful, then a physical therapy program utilizing deep friction massage, electrical stimulation and corrective exercises is often utilized.
If there is no tenderness along the inner border of the tibia, then attention should be directed to the lower back, where a pinched nerve could also be the cause of your symptoms.
There is alot of tenderness along the inside, it is very painful. 7 years ago I had an operation, cutting the sheath that connects the muscle to the bone. That was done on the outside of both legs, can this also be done on the inside of the shins?
That was probably for exertional compartment syndrome.  This is shin splints, a different problem.  Surgery is not necessary nor recommended.
This problem i get is 24/7 not from exercise, i lay down and it hurts, i walk it hurts, i sit it hurts etc etc. To touch inside of shin is so tender and i can only crouch down for a minute at a time. Can this still be shin splints?? The operation i had 7 yrs ago i was told was for shin splints but i am unsure now that it is.
A related discussion, toes & ball of feet, pain, burning, numb, tingling was started.