Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Shot my toe with a bb when i was a kid
About This Forum:

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Shot my toe with a bb when i was a kid

I am 23 years old, when i was about 12 years old  i shot myself in the foot with an air powered bb gun.  The bb went through my shoe and went into my second largest toe. I went to the doctors and got an xray, the bb was litteraly centered inside of the bone. I wanted to have it removed but the doctor said removing it would do more harm than good.

The toe was problem free for about 6 years, untill it began to swell and become a little tender.  Then it returned to norormal for a while.  Now it is swollen and so tender i can hardly walk on it.  It doesnt look discolored or infected. And im sure if i were to rest it for a few days it would return to seminormal.  I would go to the doctors but i wont have health insurance for another few weeks.

Basically my question is, what could be causing this discomfort? Is it possibly that the bb has began to rust/expand and is pressing outward on the bone, or restricting marrow?

Thank you for any input, Ryan