Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Shot my toe with a bb when i was a kid

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Shot my toe with a bb when i was a kid

I am 23 years old, when i was about 12 years old  i shot myself in the foot with an air powered bb gun.  The bb went through my shoe and went into my second largest toe. I went to the doctors and got an xray, the bb was litteraly centered inside of the bone. I wanted to have it removed but the doctor said removing it would do more harm than good.

The toe was problem free for about 6 years, untill it began to swell and become a little tender.  Then it returned to norormal for a while.  Now it is swollen and so tender i can hardly walk on it.  It doesnt look discolored or infected. And im sure if i were to rest it for a few days it would return to seminormal.  I would go to the doctors but i wont have health insurance for another few weeks.

Basically my question is, what could be causing this discomfort? Is it possibly that the bb has began to rust/expand and is pressing outward on the bone, or restricting marrow?

Thank you for any input, Ryan
The bb may be working its way out of the bone and causing symptoms.  However it is possible that your symptoms have nothing to do with your remote injury at all.  Many people live their entire lives with shrapnel embedded in their bones with no symptoms at all.  Perhaps, this could even be gout.  See a doctor.