Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Shoulder & Bicep Pain

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Shoulder & Bicep Pain

I have been experiencing shoulder and bicep pain for about 10 months.  I am a 59 year old male and in average physical condition.  I am 6’0 / 170 pounds.  Here’s how it all started.  A relative of mine bought some backyard playground equipment for the kids.  On several occasions, me and the other adults would pretend we were still young and swing around on the monkey bars.  One day while hanging there, it seemed to help relax my aching back a bit.  I did this hanging maneuver maybe 30 or 40 times over a 3 or 4 month period.  Then one day my left shoulder staring hurting and a few weeks later the right shoulder started hurting.  Of course I immediately ceased with the hanging on the bars. 10 months later they are still hurting.  Both shoulders and biceps hurt all the time.  I have bad pain when I try to reach up or around back – like when I am tucking in my shirt tail.  Obviously I have pulled something.  I would very much appreciate your thoughts.  Thank you.
The most common injury I see with traction on the arm is a tear of the cartilage, the labrum, at the top of the socket, the glenoid. This is know as a SLAP tear. The second possibility is an injury to your rotator cuff and the surrounding bursa. Clearly, after 10 months, this is not going away by itself. I suggest evaluation by an orthopedist.