Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Shoulder Clavicle Pain

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Shoulder Clavicle Pain

Age: 39
Sex: Male

For the past couple of weeks my shoulder has had a dull aching pain in it.  More so in the morning but through out the day. It seems to me that my coller bone is what is hurting but I also have muscle pain occasionaly in the neck and shoulder.

I did break this collarbone when I was 14 and then again at 15. The first time I was in a sling and the girdle thing.  The second time I dont remember them doing much.

My concern here is can that eventully come back 24 years later and cause pain?  Could it be Arthritis setting in?  Could I have re-injured it without knowing ( Shoveling snow etc).  Can the weather have any play in this?

I am a hypochondreac also so I spent the whole night last night scouring the web on this and out of 100 webpages and a bazillion forums one was cancer.

I guess what I am asking is should I let it go for now and see what happens?  Should I be freaked out that I have lung cancer? I have no other symptoms that I can see.  No weight loss, no swollen glands that I can find.

Just curious....
of course, I cannot say with certainty thatyou don't have lung cancer, however, with you history and symptoms as you describe them, along with your lack of constitutional signs, it does seem very unikely.  
It sounds like your shoulder pain may be due to one of two things or a combination of both.  Rotator cuff tendonits (impingement syndrome) and/or arthritis of the acromioclavicular joint.  Initially both are treated with a combination of oral and injected medications and physical therapy.  If unsuccessful, there are surgical procedures that can be done arthroscopically and are quite predictable.
Just noticed also since I have posted this.  I was giving someone directions today and the rotation made my shoulder muscles hurt.  If I stand with my feet together and arms at my side, if I raise my right arm and towards the front (north) of my body like pointing I am fine.  But, If I raise my arm again like pointing but this time out ( east)  on the right side like pointing again, my shoulder muscles really hurt.
Thank you for the reply.  I went to my MD and was diagnosed with a Sprained Cervicle. It became very hard to turn my head and when I move wrong I get a zing across my back to my shoulder.

He made me squeeze his hands, push my shoulders up and then shrug them down. He also did the rubber hammer thing. When all was said and done he prescribed an anti inflamatory and something one above ibuprofin.

With a sprained cervicle, can pain radiate at times down an arm? What exactly is a sprained cervicle anyways?  I did not think u could sprain a bone or is it the muscles surrounding my cervicle spine?