Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Shoulder MRI

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Shoulder MRI

I hurt my shoulder at work on Nov. 25 of last year. I had a prior surgery on this shoulder back in January of 2007, a labral repair and capsular shift.  I now have pain when my arm is at and above shoulder level, significant weakness in the same area and what I can only describe as pretty major instability. It pops/clunks/clicks when it moves "out of the socket" when I walk, and which I can also reproduce with minimal force by pushing on the front of the shoulder. I don't get back to my doctor for a few weeks.  Just wondering if anyone could give me a clue as to what's going on in my shoulder.

There is mild to moderate supraspinatus tendinopathy.  There is mild thinning of the distal tendon, proximal to its insertion site, some slightly increased signal scattered in the tendinous substance.  No significant partial tear was appreciable and there was no evidence of a full-thickness tear.  None of the injected fluid is evident in the subacromial-subdeltoid bursa.

Very slight a.c. joint degenerative changes are noted.

The bicipital tendon was intact and the bicipital anchor appeared unremarkable.

The medial insertion of the joint capsule is located somewhat medially, about 1.3 cm from the bony rim of the glenoid.  This may be a developmental variant or it may be related to prior capsular stripping or surgery, the patient having given a history of prior labral surgery.  Note also some thickening of the inferior glenohumeral ligament and the inferior anterior joint capsule.  There is mild blunting of the anterior mid to lower aspect of the labrum.  There is questionably mild irregularity towards the base of the labrum and the articular cartilage towards the midanterior aspect.  Mild undercutting of the labrum and cartilage here is a possibility.  This is not a definite or prominent finding.  The underlying glenoid bone was intact.

There appears to be at least minimal tendinopathy involving the subscapularis also.  Osseous signal intensities were unremarkable.
It sound like your previous Bankart repair and capsulorraphy was unsuccessful. This is consistent with your history, symptoms, and MRI findings. Physical therapy may be successful in controlling the symptoms, if not, repeat surgery may be necessary.