Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Shoulder pain after rotator cuff repair
About This Forum:

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Shoulder pain after rotator cuff repair

I had a small rotator cuff tear repaired about 10 months ago and, unfortunately, I am still having issues.  I have never been pain free, with most of the pain and "tightness" located in the front of my shoulder.  I also have slight swelling in my hand, particularly after exercising my arm/shoulder.  My doctor ordered an MRI to examine the rotator cuff, and he said everything looked good with the repair.  He advised a cortisone shot to calm down any inflammation that may be causing the pain, and to "break up" the scar tissue.  I asked him how everything else looked (biceps tendon, labrum, etc.) and he said as far a he could tell on the MRI, there were no issues.  He did mention that he did not believe that the biceps tendon was compromised, mostly based on the in-surgery photographs that showed a healthy biceps tendon.  My question is two-fold:  first, is there any better way to examine my shoulder than through an MRI (e.g. physical examination/sonogram), and second, should I be concerned about a frayed biceps tendon/labrum tear at this point.  The pain is most evident during the "open can" exercises, and the external rotation stretches and exercises.  Any feedback on this matter would be greatly appreciated.