Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Shoulder pain

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Shoulder pain

About 10 years ago someone yanked me by the left arm out of a chair.  I felt a "pop" in the shoulder at the time and landed on the floor on that outstretched arm to catch myself.  It hurt pretty bad for a few days, but then the pain went away.  Over the years it has acted up, giving me pain and popping/snapping every now and again.  Motrin or advil usually helps and this is usually when its cold and damp outside.  Well, a couple of weeks ago I moved my arm and there was a loud pop, my husband even heard it, and sharp pain in the front area of the shoulder.  It's been hurting every since and for the last few days even the motrin is not helping.  I have an appt with an ortho doctor next week.  I've read alot of stuff online and discovered that it could be many different things that cause this.  Maybe bursitis, maybe tendonitis, maybe labrum tear, etc.  I had my husband do that O'Brien test on me and got positive results for a tear, although it doesn't hurt that much with over head activity.  There is some pain radiating down the arm, but the actual bicep tendon is not tender when I palpate it, nor does it feel swollen.  The pain seems to be coming from right below where the collar bone ends by the shoulder.  It doesn't pop all of the time, but when it does, it almost feels like the shoulder is coming out of place if that makes any sense.  I still have strength in that arm, although it does hurt to pick things up with it.  Has anyone had any of these symptoms before?  And what might I be looking at as far as tests with the doctor next week?   Thanks for any advice.  
You can expect your doctor to ask you questions regarding your history, your symptoms, and the causes of your pain.  Then he will examine you.  This will include visual inspection, palpation, and various provocative tests (such as the O'Brien test you already know) Finally, he will likely take an X-ray. After putting all this together, he may decide more tests such as MRI, CAT scan, and EMG's