Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Slap tear

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Slap tear
Will a SLAP tear heal by itself?

As I do not experience any pain or sleepless nights, I believe it is not the serious type.

My restriction of movement with aches has also subsided quite a fair bit over 2 months now.

Also is it advisable that I do light exercise or refrain totally from it?
Sorry, I thought you had an MRI to make the diagnosis.  Without an MRI arthrogram, the diagnosis is only speculative.  In fact, given the further history you provided, this may be shoulder instability rather than a SLAP tear.  I would recommend furhter evaluation by your orthopedist now.
SLAP tears are tears of the glenoid labrum, the cartilage ringing the socket of the shoulder, on the top, running from front to back.  SLAP is an acronym for Superior Labrum Anterior to Posterior and was first used by Dr. Stephen Snyder during the 1980s.
For the most part they do not heal on their own.  However, if the tear is not causing symptoms, it does not necessarily need to be repaired. I suggest a return to activities as a trial.  If you remain pain free, congratulations!!!!  If not, seek further care.
Thanks for answering!

Then will debrided SLAP heal by itself if I leave it?
I went to a sports Orthopedic and he suggested that I do a MRI scan but it's very expensive.
I popped my shoulder while swimming and must have injured that region.
Aches with movement has improved but there is still snapping when I rotated my shoulder by holding my right shoulder with right hand.
I'm just hoping it'll get better if I just left it by itself.
My shoulders popped when was playing in the pool and did a sudden dash by swimming. Then it popped and felt stiff. what i did was to simply rotated my arms and it popped back.
Thats how it all started.
I'm resting it, aches are disappearing but when i work as i do my sketches, the back of my back shoulder side feels strained. Sometimes even when facing the computer.
Other than the popping i hear, When i tried to do pull ups, i feel a strain inside my deltoids area. I didnt dare to completely rest my weight though.

I'm hoping continual rest will heal and its just a muscle strained??
It sounds like you have a stability problem.  I think an MRI arthrogram would be useful to diagnose a Bankart lesion, SLAP tear, or capacious capsule.  Swimming may aggravate your shoulder, i.e. psedo-instability in swimmers or "swimmers shoulder".
Hi Thanks for replying again Michael.
I realised some of the snapping are from the AC joint areas.
What is the worst that could happen if i just leave it as it this to heal?
It wont heal, or it will get worse