Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Softball Injury to Thumb Area

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Softball Injury to Thumb Area
My daugher got hit this past summer in the hand, in the area fatty between her thumb and pointer finger.  It was swelled and very stiff.  Our family Dr. said said it was just inflammed.  Ever since that area gets sore and will swell up when she is hitting.  I was told that there is a thumb brace guard that she could wear WHILE she is batting, to protect her thumb area.  Where would I find something like this?  I have checked online and can't find anything.  

Also what could be causing the pain and swelling?
You didn't mention if she has ever had an X-ray, and evaluation by an orthopedist or a hand specialist.  Certainly, continued swelling after 6 months is a signal that there might be a problem which is more than just persistant inflammation.  One possibility is a fracture of the hamate.
I do not recommend simply obtaining a brace off the internet without a diagnosis.  Many braces are injury specific.  If a brace is all that is needed, thn a correct diagnosis will allow for the purchase of the proper brace.  
Therefore, i would recommend evaluation by an orthopedist, or hand specialist, in person, with further work up as determined by that initial evaluation.
She has not had an x-ray or seen a specialist.  How could she have fractured her Hamate, when I looked it up, it is on the opposite side of the hand.  Hers is between the thumb and the pointer finger on her right hand.  

If she did fractured something in her hand, what would a Dr. recommend?  How long of a recovery time?
Sorry.  I misunderstood the location.  Which only illustrates my point about diagnosing without seeing the patient.  I wouldn't recommend a brace before a thorough evaluation and correct diagnosis