Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Sprain or break?

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Sprain or break?

So last night I was running to catch a metro, (I live in Barcelona) . And i fell at the bottom step after missing a couple of steps out in my rush. I heard a noise but it sounded more of a pop than i crack i think. Anyway, it instantly swelled up and looked disfigured. I went to hospital unable to put any weight on it and had it examined and xrayed. Unfortunately my Spanish is not quite good enough to understand alot of what was going on, but my vast experiences of accident and  emergency helped! After the Xray i was told that it wasnt broken as far as they could see, that it was a bad sprain and needed rest for 10 days or so. This morning and when i woke up through the night i realised how much pain i was actually in. I could not stand on it and can hardly move it at all, the only movement i can get is in my big toe. I have broken my foot before and this is so much more painful! Ive looked back over the xray and cant see any sign of a break (not that i would have a clue compared to the doctors of course) but i am in so much pain that i cannot understand how this can just be a sprain!

Gabe
Tags: sprain, break, Pain
A sprain can be very painful. I'm not sure if you are talking about an ankle sprain, or a sprain to some of the small joints in your foot.  You may require a short period of immobilization.  In addition, be sure to continue with elevation and ice while your leg is swollen.
Sometimes, the initial injury is missed in the ER, so be sure to see an orthopedist if the pain and swelling worsen or persist