Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Sprain or bruise?

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Sprain or bruise?
Yesterday at a softball game, I was batting and I got hit with a softball on my left foot on the outside part of my foot. It hit between my ankle bone and my heel, and the pitch was probably about 45 mph. I couldn't walk on it for a little bit then I continued walking on it. I have a limp when I walk and full pressure on my foot hurts my heel and ankle. The bruise is about quarter sized and it's swollen a pretty good amount. The trainer said it was just bruised, but my mom thinks it could be sprained or broken. So do I have a sprain/break or a bruised bone?