Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Stress Fracture of Right Tibia

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Stress Fracture of Right Tibia
I play a lot of golf and recently I have been having a lot of pain in my right shin.  I hurts when walking and sometimes even at rest.  if i press on certain parts of the shin bone the pain is fairly significant.  Does this require medical attention or should i just stay off my feet or minimize impact on my legs.?
Probably either a stress fracture or shin splints. While either will probably get better with rest, it is important to determine why the problem occurred. Particularly for a stress fracture, was this the result of a suddn increase in activity, or do you have underlynig osteopenia which makes you sussceptible to this injury. Take several weeks rest, not necessarily of your feet completely, but no strenuous activity. IF pain persists, or recurs, see your physician.