Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Strong waterproof tape for foot

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Strong waterproof tape for foot

I'm looking for advice as to the best waterproof tape (brand/model) for a sports medicine use. I need to tape my foot, realigning the 5th metatarsal and cuboid after an inversion sprain / cuboid fracture. A subluxated cuboid. (it's currently high, above it's correct position) It must be NO/low stretch, high tensile strength, water/oil proof, 1" wide (I can split 2" if needed).  Enabling TOTAL immobilization so I can work on the ligaments necessary to hold the bones in the correct place. necessary to This is going to be a lengthy rehab process and I'll need to have the tape on for several days at a time replacing it as needed.   I will be using a tape prep spray.

My physical therapist prefers Kendall's Wet-Pruf but it's is in short supply nad hard to find for a reasonable price.  Too many scalpers out there.

If anyone knows of a quality medical tape, I'm all ears.  The 1.5" athletic tape appears to be too generic for my needs but I'm open to suggestion.

As for the 1.5" athletic tape, does anyone have favorites? The generic Ace tape is of poor quality
1 Comment
More details, the cuboid has risen from its correct placement with the base of the 5th metatarsal forced laterally to the outside edge of my foot.  Basically, I have one huge painful bump where the base of the 5th metatarsal is.  Taping for immobility helps but isn't a solution.  I take the tape off and the pain is excrutiating.  Feeling like the 5th and cuboid are rubbing...  Even taped, when my foot spreads due to weight bearing, it screams with pain and becomes red and inflamed.

As of now, I'm become disheartened feeling that this is not a curable injury,