Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Sudden Sharp Right Knee Pain

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Sudden Sharp Right Knee Pain

I am not quite sure how to start because I have never done anything like this before but I need some help! *lol* Today at work I went to stand up and almost fell down because I felt this sharp stabbing pain in my right knee. I was caught off guard and rubbed it a little and continued to walk and it throbbed a little but was ok. Then again as I went to stand up the pain was there now all day anytime I stand up there is the sharp stabbing pain. When I was trying to walk down the stairs it was painful that I ended up hobbling. Not sure what is going on as my right knee has not bothered me in some time but then all of a sudden today out of the blue there was the pain. I have a long history of right knee pain and discomfort as it suffered a trauma when I was 16 where the kneecap was slammed into a cabinet, then a few months later I fell and landed right smack on the right side on hard floor. I am 29 now and although I pretty much gave up on Orthopedic doctors I am not sure what to think. I have had one doctor tell me ALL my bursa has been popped, another one said no its fine, there is nothing wrong with your knee. Over the course of the years I have hit, banged, smacked, and battered my knee. It swells up and goes down and nothing helps. I have taken Ibuprofen 800, Vicodin, etc and nothing alieviates. I just decided that I would live with the discomfort but after today I don't know what to think or do as I have not felt this type of stabbing sharp pain before. I know this is long winded and I do apologize but any input would be nice. Thank you so much for your time.
I would like to postulate that your original injury caused an inury to the articular cartilage on the back of the patella.  After the passage of time, you have now developed post-traumatic arthritic changes in the patella femoral joint.  Perhaps, you have now irritated this arthritc joint with your recent activities.  If the your last set of imaging studies was at least 6 years ago, it is time for another set.  If possible, the new Xrays should be compared to the old set to see if there have been any changes.  
If your symptoms are caused by an arthritic PF joint, this can be treated with oral and injected medications, viscosupplementation, physical therapy, and bracing.  If non of these are effective, there are several surgical optiions, but these should only be considered if the above are not effective.
1 Comment
I forgot to mention that I have had xrays and an MRI done on my knee but never revealed anything. I believe the last one was back in 2002 or 2003.