Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Surgery on dislocated toe

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Surgery on dislocated toe

Doctor,
I have a severly dislocated 2nd MTP.  The joint at the base of the toe is too deteriorated to allow the surgeon to reset the bone.  He doesn't feel that an artificial joint is an option for because of its low chance of success

This is the procedure that he is suggesting...."2nd MTP ORIF resect base 2nd prox. phalanx, syndactyly 2-3 toes"

What is your opinion of this procedure?  Is it usually a successful procedure?

It may help you to know that I am a 52 year old woman, non- athletic, approx 160lbs.

Thank you in advance
Sorry, this is not really my area.  But, I have had patients have this procedure and done well.
Dr. Gross,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.  I haven't been able to find very much information about this procedure.  It is very reassuring to know that others have had it and been successful.

Sandy