Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Surgery or not?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Surgery or not?

Hi, Exacly 4 weeks ago I was in a car accident..my hand was on the steering wheel and bent back.. I just went for an MRI on 2/27.. Here is the impression...
Tear of the ulnar collateral ligament off the base of the proximal phalanx.  There does not appear to be a steiner's lesion.  However there is irregularity where the attachment of the ulnar collateral ligament normally inserts at the base of the proximal phalanx and a small avulsion injury at this level is not excluded.
Linear areas of low T1 and high T2 signal intensity within the diaphysis of the first metacarpal suggest non-displaced fractures. In addition there are bone bruises within the head of the first metacarpal.
I have had my hand in a brace for 4 weeks straight and these were the findings..
One hand surgeon say I need surgery while the other says keep my hand in brace for 2 more weeks then off for a week and see him, t that point if it's not better then he suggested surgery then..
So now I dont know what to do? Can you please  give me your opinion?
Thank you