Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Swelling in hand 11 months after rotator cuff repair

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

I have had all of my questions answered but one:  what are possible causes for slight swelling in my hand 11 months after a rotator cuff repair?  I had significant swelling with numbness for 12 weeks, then gradually down to slight swelling- mostly noticed when gripping objects, tightness is felt from some kind of fluid retention.  Recent MRI revealed fraying in undersurface of distal supraspinatus and a.c. hypertrophy.  Could this be related to nerve or vascular issues, or is this just part of the process?  Still in pain as well.  Any advice, as always, would be greatly appreciated.
I have seen persistant swelling in the hand after shoulder surgery. In fact, I even saw a patient today 2 months postop after rotator cuff surgery. However a year does seem a bit long. Usually the cause is drainage from the surgery site at the shoulder. In addition if you are not using the arm consistantly, then your will retain fluid in the hand and forearm, since it is local muscle action that helps to pum the fluid out of the extremities.
What can be done about the drainage, if anything?