Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Swimming boot?

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Swimming boot?

My ten year old son has an avulsion fracture of the growth plate in the 5th metatarsul(sp?). He has very little pain after the first few day now. He is on day 8 of the injury. He was put into a air cast walking boot for the weeks ahead. The boot is past the calf. Can he wear the short version of these boots. He has no ankle injury.

Also, We are going on vacation and I want to know if there is a brace that can be used in the pool for his foot to be protected. Can he use any of these foot braces that have a hard sole with velcro for support while he's in the pool?
I often use eithe the short boot or a hard sole shoe for this injury.  However, I would discuss it with your treating doctor.  There may be a reason that he has chosen the present course that you are not aware of.  It is never a good idea to change the treatment without discussing it with the doctor first.