Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Torn Shoulder Ligament

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Torn Shoulder Ligament

I just found out today that I have a torn ligament in my shoulder. The pain started almost a year ago and has gotten worse over time. I went to PT for about two months with absolutely no results. They the sent to a doctor. X-rays were negative on my shoulder. He then gave me a cortazone shot in my shoulder. It did relieve some of the pain for a short time and then got worse. About a month and a half after the first shot he gave me another one and ordered an MRI. The second shot had the same results. Some of the pain went away. The MRI report that my doctor has said that there is a torn ligament in my shoulder. He said that I could go back to PT and get a shot when ever the pain gets bad, or he could send a scope in my shoudler to see if there is anything else causing the pain. Since the first round of PT did not help, I am not sure what I should do. Can someone please help me out with this? I am not sure if I should get a second opinion, continue PT or go with the scope in my shoulder. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
When the doctor told you there was a torn ligament, what ligament was it?  Why did he suggest looking for something else, rather than fixing the torn ligament?  Did he think the torn ligament was not the problem?