Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Torn meniscus recurring?

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Torn meniscus recurring?

About 10 months ago I started having problems with my left knee. It was making a painful popping noise, giving out from under me, and giving me quite a bit of pain. I saw an orthopedic surgeon who did an MRI and determined that I had a torn meniscus. He did surgery on my knee in September removing the torn part of the meniscus, and after a few months I was back to normal. Within the past month my knee has starting aching again (which is how this started the first time) and now it is doing the popping thing. Is this normal? Or is there something wrong again?
This renewed onset of pain and popping could be caused by three things.  Incomplete rehab, which could easily remedied by restarting your PT and increasing your strentgth and endurance. Mild inflammation, remedied by NSAID's ad possibly a cortisone injection. Finally, a retear of the meniscus is always a possibility, the entire meniscus is not removed at the time of surgery.  Therefore , it is always possible to tear into another portion of the meniscus when activity is resumed.  MRI is not that useful here, since it is often impossible to differentiate an new tear from post surgical changes.