Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Trigger Thumb Surger

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Trigger Thumb Surger
I am having trigger thumb surgery in a couple of weeks.  I am wondering what I can expect my recovery period to be like.  I've looked online and it sounds like I will be bandaged up for up to a week.  My doc told me that I'll have a bandage on it for maybe 24 hours and then can just put a bandaid on it.  He makes it sound very minor.  I am wondering how much time I'll need to take off from work (I work in an office...computer, phone, handwriting (rt thumb and I'm rt handed, etc.).  Any ideas on what I can expect?  What about PT?  My doc says as long as I can move it around right after surgery I'll not need any PT.
Many doctors have different protocols. This accounts for the differences between your online research and you surgeons specific answers.  I tend to follow a post op course similar to the one your surgeon has outlined. For specifics, I think its more appropriate to ask your treating doctor rather than others.