Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Ulnar nerve popping in and out of groove?

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

I fell on my hand out-stretched while playing basketball half a year ago. The orthopedist said I had a radial head fracture, so I was given a splinter and did that for about a week. Later when I subflexed my elbow, at around 90 degrees, I realized something was popping in and out. I went back to the orthopedist, who now told me it was my ulnar nerve and that I should just forget about it and go on with my life.

But I've done some research online and they say that continued overlap of the ulnar nerve on the bone which it is now going over can irritate the ulnar nerve, leading to cubital tunnel syndrome. This is the ultimate nightmare, although the orthopedist I saw said that cubital tunnel syndrome is a result of nerve compression, and that my dislocation can not lead to it. But the doctors online seem to disagree. So I don't know what to do, because I'd really like to work out. Would it be safe at least to do exercises in the gym that don't involve subflexing my arm so that the popping will happen, or will the mere pressure on the elbow be problematic to begin with?

Thanks in advance
See previous answer