Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Undersurface meniscal tear

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Undersurface meniscal tear

I had an MRI, diagnosis was:  posterior horn of the medial meniscus undersurface tear, moderate chondromalacia patella, moderate sized joint effusion and Baker's cyst with signs of some osteoarthoritis.  I am having authorscopic surgery on it and I was wondering what exactly is going to be done, what the recovery is and how long it will be?  How long will I be on crutches and will I need to go to physical therapy?
these are questions you really should review with your treating surgeon, and quite honestly, if you cannot get satisfactory answers, you should find another surgeon. Most likely, you wil have a partial menisectomy, to remove the damaged portion of the meniscus. Most meniscal injuries are treated with partial menisectomy rather than repair. you may also undergo a synovectomy, removal of the inflamed tissue in the lining of the knee, and a chondroplasty, shaving of the articular cartilage to smoth down the worn portions, ie the condromalacia. The Bkers cyst should resolve on tis own as the swelling in the knee goes down.  My patients use crutches or a cane for several days, and attend PT for about a month.  We have an animation of the procedure on our website, that you may find informative