Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Expert Forum
Weird Calf Cramps + hip and knee pain

Questions in the Orthopedics & Sports Medicine forum are answered by Michael L. Gross, MD the CEO of Active Orthopedics & Sports Medicine.

Weird Calf Cramps + hip and knee pain

I am a 50 year old female who until about 3 years ago was extremely active.  Work and laziness got in the way of 2 hours daily racquetball.  I had left ankle surgery for an accident in 1981 but other than that, until the recent problems have been pretty much injury free.  Until March 2009, I was steady at 95 pounds, 4'11" and never really varied more than a pound or two from that number for what seems like forever.  

Since March, despite a low calorie diet (I've been on weight watchers for over 10 years and eat very well, but just not a lot), I shot up in weight to 108 pounds and started getting severe charlie horses in my left calf (never the right).  I also have dull pain that seems to radiate from my right hip down through my right femur that is bad enough that I can't sleep on that side.  I did a little internet research and decided to try taking chelated magnesium for the charlie horses.  I also found articles on metabolism changes and tightening ligaments with age, which I decided to attack by exercising again.  I started running/walking through a local park 3-4 days a week.  The charlie horses are a little better, but when they hit, they are really bad but don't happen while I am running - come on afterwards and also for no reason at all when I'm sitting at my desk.  The hip/femur pain wasn't causing me any trouble during the run, so I figured running/walking was a good exercise.  However, yesterday when I was running, I suddenly started getting sharp stabbing pain only on the outside of my right knee.  My knee is NOT swollen at all, I can easily bend my knee and pushing all over it causes no pain.  It only stabs when I'm jogging on that leg.  Today it was way worse.  It's not bad when I walk, but it's over the top when I run.  The hip/upper femur pain is constantly present, but worse when I sit.
This could be pain caused by a pinched nerve in your back, or could be Iliotibial band syndrome. Starting on an exercise program is commendable, but I would recommend evaluation by an orthopedist, so you can continue without injury.
ETA - I eat lots of bananas so I don't think the cramps are from potassium deficiency, and because I was having fatigue, I decided to take magnesium.
how are your feet? any heel pain? i ask this because i've been having pain in my knees and somewhat cramping in my left calf also, most of the symptoms seem to be  Plantar fasciitis. if you got time check it out, i'm not a dr. just another guy with aches and pains.  Phill
Thanks for the answer - really appreciate it!